Picture yourself on stage at Carnegie Hall! The College Park Choir has been invited to join a special concert on June 17, 2018. All past, current and future choir members are invited to join us on this bucket list trip for anyone that loves to sing. Sign up by June 4, 2017!
Spend 4 nights in New York City to rehearse and perform with 250 singers from across the USA and a full orchestra in one of the most prestigious and historic venues in the world! Music (Lord’s Prayer) will be written and conducted by Pepper Choplin. He’s a graduate of UNC-G and visited College Park several times as a student! His published works include 250+ choir anthems, 16 church cantatas and a book of piano arrangements. He lives in Raleigh, so he will probably visit us before the trip. Pepper has also produced two humorous CDs. According to Pepper “we will work hard and have a lot of fun along the way.” Rydell is a big fan of Pepper!
The concert is arranged by Distinguished Concerts International New York. They present many special performances at both Carnegie and Lincoln Center. They contacted Rydell with a special invitation after listening to our choir sing on our YouTube channel.
- June 14, 2018: Arrive in NYC; 6 PM director’s orientation meeting.
- June 15 & 16: Half day choral/piano rehearsal. Time for sightseeing too!
- June 17: Full day with sound check, performance in 2,800-seat Isaac Stern Auditorium and post-concert Artist and VIP Patron Reception with dinner. Dress is concert black – for men, a suit or tux with white shirt and black bowtie. Black dress with sleeves or black pants / top for ladies.
- June 18: Return to Greensboro or stay an extra day.
To make planning easy, a 4-night package has been created. Estimated cost is $1,800/person – double occupancy in a room. Package includes:
- Four nights in a deluxe midtown hotel within walking distance to Carnegie Hall (between Times Square and Central Park)
- Roundtrip airfare from GSO & airport transportation to hotel
- Private post-concert reception & dinner
- Registration cost ($790) to help cover expenses for rehearsals and concert prep by DCINY.
- For non-singers, a package of $1,400 includes VIP ticket, reception, stage door badge to listen to rehearsals.
- If we have 10 or more members, College Park will be listed as a concert co-sponsor and receive a performance DVD, photograph and two comp concert tickets.
- June 4, 2017 Deadline! Since the choir is expected to fill quickly, we must send a tentative count to them by May 31 with $300/person deposit by June 5th. Another $400 due October 12th and Jan 12th. Balance due April 12, 2018. Make your check out to “College Park Baptist Church” and give to Mark or David. Then Phyllis will pay with one church check.
- You can also book your own hotel / transportation. In that case, your initial deposit is $200. Non-singers have the option of just buying a ticket for the concert (prob $35-$100 range) instead of paying the non-singer registration that includes the best seats and after concert private dinner.
David Soyars & Mark File are coordinating travel before and during the trip. See them or Rydell to sign up / ask questions. Added Sights: There are many possible options for free time. We will have some Broadway show options, and we have a connection for a guided behind-the-scenes tour at Steinway Piano.