Girl Scout Project: Prayer Room
THANK YOU to Girl Scouts Addison Coughlin, Maddie Billings and Sophie McKinney for giving the College Park Church Prayer Room a big makeover as their Silver Project. The room was dedicated on September 10, 2017.
The small room on the third floor has been transformed into a meditative spot. Pray below the wooden cross or post prayer requests on the board. Or meditate in the light-filled room.
Here’s a recap of their amazing work:
- Removed the existing carpet and installed laminate hardwood floors (with the help of parents and siblings)
- Sanded and painted the walls “Mindful Grey”
- Sanded and repainted the ceiling
- Patched and painted holes in molding
- Installed a large cross on the wall when you first come into the room
- Cleaned the windows and installed curtain rods and curtains
- Installed a cork board wall for people to post prayer requests
- Refurbished an existing pink bookshelf by sanding and painting it white
- Installed ceramic crosses on another wall
- Purchased three succulants for each window
- Repurposed some existing furniture for a sitting area
- Asked a local artist to create a word art poster for the room and had it framed and hung
- Placed prayer bench(es) created by Bill Ingold from reclaimed wood from the chapel pews.
The Girl Scout Silver Award is the highest award a Girl Scout Cadette can earn. Watch the video of the February presentation below!